La Perla Beach
Have you hear the hit song, Despacito? It was shot in La Perla – a beautiful neighbourhood in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. After Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi shot their music video in La Perla, it became a popular hot spot. Tourists travel here to see its beautifully painted houses, the sea and the unique environment.
Things to Know About La Perla
- Nestled in between the forts of El Morro and San Cristobal, La Perla was established in the late 19th century.
- The beach community has a music recording studio named El Estudio D'Oro that hosts an urban radio show.
- Not just Despacito but many music videos and films are shot here. The remix song of Furtado's No Hay Igual and the movie “The Vessel” were filmed in La Perla. Artists like Calle 13 and Ismael Rivera have written and dedicated songs to the city.
Places to Visit in and Near La Perla
- La Perla Coastline: Visit the LuisFonsi rocks and the beautiful hand painted walls. Another unique thing about La Perla is that all houses in this small community are painted with vibrant colors.
- Old San Juan Cemetery: This is bleach-white graveyard that overlooks the ocean. It is the burial site of some of the popular personalities of Puerto Rico. While standing here you can get a view of La Perla and El Morro.
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro: Also known as El Morro, this citadel built between 16th-18th centuries is a World Heritage Site. The existing fort consists of a hornwork, bastions, curtain walls, a moat, aravelin, a guardhouse, cannons, garitas and natural battlements.
- Castillo San Cristóbal: It is a fortress in San Juan and a part of the San Juan National Historical Site. It is a popular wedding venue and tourist spot. While walking inside the fortress, you can see cannon embrasures, sentry boxes, secret tunnels and exhibitions of the military quarters. Don't forget to visit “Garitadel Diablo” which is popular amongst tourists and locals because old Puerto Rican legends say that soldiers disappeared mysteriously from this exact location.
- San Juan de la Cruz: Also known as “El Cañuelo” and Saint John of the Cross, this fort was built to protect San Juan’sharbor in Spanish colonial times. For photography purposes, this place is the outstanding. You get a panoramic view of the San Juan Bay, El Morro, coastline and the city walls.
- Old San Juan Tour: Take a guided tour of this 500-year old walled city to discover secret corners, brightly colored homes, cobblestone streets and historical sites. There is a secret beach in the south side of Old San Juan and we definitely recommend our guests to explore it. Other top things to visit in Old San Juan are Paseo de la Princesa, Paseo del Morro, Ventana al Mar Park, Condado Lagoon Park, Bahia Urbana, San Juan Botanical Garden, Parque del Indio, Parque de las Palomas and Parque Luis Muñoz Rivera just to name a few.
Hotels and Restaurants Near La Perla
La Perla is a small community, there aren't any hotels or restaurants located here. If you are visiting La Perla aboard your private charter, then go to the Old San Juan city for accommodations and entertainment purposes. Some hotels near La Perla include O:live Boutique Hotel, Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites, La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort, Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, San Juan Marriott Resort &Stellaris Casino, Dream Inn PR, Hyatt House, Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, Casa Blanca Hotel and La Terraza among others. Restaurants near La Perla include Punto de Vista, Casita Miramar, Cocina Abierta, El Jibarito, Marmalade, Oceano, Verde Mesa, Deaverdura, Orozco’s, La Cueva Del Mar, Café Manolín, Santaella, etc..
Are you ready to explore this small yet one of a kind community? Book your private charter in Puerto Rico today! At Yachts Puerto Rico Charters, we provide you a range of charter options to meet your needs, budget and expectations. Select a luxury vessel from our collection of power yachts, sailing yachts, catamarans, mega yachts or superyachts – and tell us what you want to explore. We will discuss and plan your itinerary. All our yacht charters are crewed so that you can enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Our professionally trained staff provides catering services, knowledge about tourist locations and we assist in making your vacation catered to your wants and needs. To experience the famous streets, coastline and houses featured in the song 'Despacito,' you have to come to La Perla! To book your luxury yacht, contact our expert here.